Achieve 100% HIPAA compliance with MIS Choice
The HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) was signed into law in 1996 and contains the rules, regulations and guidelines for protecting and governing the use and distribution of medical or patient data.
HIPAA helps prevent fraud and abuse by stipulating rules for proper storage of patients' healthcare information as well as the security standards for electronic billing of healthcare services. In essence, the Act helps ensure the privacy and confidentiality of healthcare data.
- Risk Analysis
- Risk Management
- HIPAA Training
- Malicious Software Protection
- Transmission Security
Achieving HIPAA compliance can be a daunting task for organizations in the healthcare space. The first step towards attaining HIPAA compliance is understanding how it applies to your organization. The second step involves implementing technology, workflow processes and staff training to help prevent accidental disclosure or a HIPAA-related data breach.
We have extensive experience partnering with organizations that are required to comply with HIPAA, and have helped them improve their security posture and reduce the cost of complying with HIPAA regulations. Our solution tackles every aspect of HIPAA compliance under the law, so when a compliance audit is performed unexpectedly, you have the peace of mind knowing that your practice will pass and avoid the hefty penalties.
HIPAA Penalty Enforcement
The HIPAA Enforcement Rule supervises the investigation that follows a breach of patient healthcare information, the penalties that could be imposed for an avoidable breach of patient information, and the procedures for hearings. Here are the penalties that you should be aware of:
- A violation attributable to ignorance can attract a fine of $100 – $50,000.
- A violation that occurred despite reasonable vigilance can attract a fine of $1,000 – $50,000.
- A violation due to willful neglect which is corrected within thirty days will attract a fine of between $10,000 and $50,000.
- A violation due to willful neglect which is not corrected within thirty days will attract the maximum fine of $50,000.